Follow us:

Cookware 14

Which turner should I get?

Conundrums | Apr 21, 201510:56 PM

I'm a beginner in the kitchen, so I'm sorry for the silly questions.

I am trying to keep my kitchen tools to a minimum, partly to keep my costs down, and partly to take up less space. I would like to get one turner/flipper/spatula for everything. I don't cook many different foods, and I am ok with not having the best tool for everything.

I am strongly leaning toward a stainless steel one, because I tried a silicone one on pancakes and it was horrible (although it claimed to be thin enough for pancakes). If I get stainless, I want it to be made in the USA or Europe.

Could I get some thoughts on which I should buy? I am thinking either the 8"x3" perforated turner or the regular turner which is 5"x2.5". They are at Or do you have a different suggestion? I prefer something which is around $20 on Amazon, and certainly under $25.

I primarily want it to work for pancakes, eggs, fried potatoes, strips or chunks of beef, and ideally for some fish. I know that there are fish turners for fish, but I wondered if the perforated turner would suffice. I think I would bake fish more than fry it.

Also, would these turners work with a cast iron wok? Maybe not as easily as the kind shaped for a wok, but it's ok?

Want to stay up to date with this post? Sign Up Now ›

Recommended from Chowhound

Catch up on the latest activity across all community discussions.
View latest discussions