I've made my first visit to the new, expanded Southern Season in University Mall. It's indeed gigantic, but it's lost all its intimacy -- it now feels like a gourmet supermarket -- a gourmet Walmart -- rather than a local shop with a personality. I'm a bit disappointed. I'm also disappointed that the store hasn't much expanded in the one way that would really have pleased me: as a purveyor of gourmet ingredients and professional cookware.
Major changes include:
1) Vastly expanded chocolate and candy selection. It's positively immense! Probably the largest selection I've even seen -- but then all I buy is Valhrona. Candy lovers, however, should be delighted.
2) Nice-looking cooking lesson studio on premises.
3) Expanded housewares and kitchenwares (still not interesting, though -- more for Martha Stewart types than serious home chefs).
4) Ready-cooked take-away cuisine and salad bar (yawn).
5) Somewhat expanded wine selection.
Cheese selection seems to me about the same -- too bad.