So, speaking as Thi, Ye Olde Editor of Ye Olde ChowNews:
Sonia has donated, for the goodness and survival of the board, of her own free will, an exceedingly and tremendously great dissertation on eating in Koreatown (and Korean in some other places). There are many recommendations of all sorts - BBQ, chewy noodles, soft noodles, soups, etc. There are very lengthy explanations of various sorts of the little pickley things that come with your meal. There are many explanations of what the various doohickeys are for in Korean eating, and more.
This thing is four dense pages long. This thing has taught me more about eating Korean in this town than marrying four Korean wives and being reincarnated as a jindo.
Perhaps this is a slight exaggeration, but only slight.
BUT: this essay will not be posted to the board. This lovely thing will only be available to subscribers of Chownews - and it'll go out Friday morning. (Though, I'm sure, if you're very nice and send us a little request and you don't quite make the Friday send-out date, we could arrange for you to get it.)
I don't normally pimp this straightforwardly, but Sonia's thingy is such a great thing that I would be sad for anyone to miss out.
AND: for anyone who doesn't know what ChowNews is, short story:
1. Chowhound - this board - takes no advertising.
2. The only way for Chowhound to survive is donations, store sales, and Chownews.
3. Chownews is a service where, for each major city serviced by Chowhound, an editor (for Los Angeles it is me) reads the entire week of posting, summarizes the best of it and sends it to you.
4. Chownews is $15 for 6 months of weekly newsletters.
5. I sometimes get Chowhound regulars to donate little bonuses - Top 10's and such - that don't appear on the board. Sonia's is such a bonus - but it's very special.
Save the board. Leff Lives! etc.
And, Thank You, Sonia.