Following on from Harters's excellent post about the Midland hotel do any of the regular hounds fancy sharing their top 10 meals of 2011?
Criteria: UK restaurants only and has to have been in 2011 (who do we think we are - the San Pellegrino Top 50). And one meal per restaurant - no listing the Ledbury and the Bull and Last five times each.
Visitors feel free to share a lesser number.
I'll kick off
1. The Fat Duck - first time, high expectations, easily met.
2. L'Enclume - two back to back meals, the second of which was incredible.
3. Nuno Mendes at the Loft Project: 12 unbelievable courses of food, watermelon sashimi, potato spaghetti, squid ink everywhere.
4. The Young Turks at the Clove Club: Tomatoes, Mackerel, Beef all the best dishes of their ilk this year. incredible flavour and ingenuity and in an abandoned office building.
5. Roganic - stunning meal which prompted a long weekend at L'Enclume.
6. Viajante - my first visit in January was mindblowing. Subsequent visit didn't live up to the standard but that first time we were blown away by the freshness and clarity of flavour.
7. Marcus Wareing - only my second visit and not everything to my taste but in most respects this restaurant is a class above.
8. Pollen Street Social - we went on opening night so there were some creases to iron out but the potential of what Atherton was doing was clear.
9. Hibiscus - this is brilliantly inventive and exciting cooking. Only one mis-step in a mammoth tasting menu. But much like my experience at Mugaritz, despite there being so much to admire, what I put in my mouth was not as enjoyable as it was at the restaurants above.
10. Impossible to decide: Opera Tavern, Alyn Williams, The Corner Room and Wild Honey all provided standout meals.
My best meal of the year was actually at Akelare - but that's ineligible.
Cannot wait to branch further afield in 2012 and to hear some of the thoughts of other very admirable members of the board.