This is the last substantial sit down meal of our trip. The reasons behind our selecting the 1* La Bombance were of two folds. One, CK would like to introduce us to ‘Modern Kaiseki’ and see how this take would compare to the traditional one we had at Hirosaku. Secondly, La Bombance has just opened up an outpost in Hong Kong. It fell under the radar screen of my friend, Susan Jung, who is the food and restaurant editor of the SCMP. She gave it a rave review and big thumbs up after giving this Hong Kong branch a try, claiming the meal to be one of the most enjoyable Japanese meal she had in Hong Kong. Since I have huge respect for her judgment , discriminating taste and trusted palate, we all decided to follow her foot step and see for ourselves.
Compare to some other darkened alley places we have frequented, finding this place located in the basement of a condominium was a cinch. The interior is cozy and intimate consisting of counter seating and side table booths. The dim lighting gave a bit of a nocturnal feel. Once again, only a multi-course Omakase was offered. As with most meals we had enjoyed so far, the menu was seafood-centric which fitted our taste totally! To our surprise, a bi-lingual menu with full English description, which we can follow course by course, was provided.
Though the underlying style of our 10 course, multi-component meal is Japanese, the incorporation of a variety of ingredients like Foie Gras propels it to the realm of fusion.
Our meal consisted of:
- Salad of fire squid and crab wrapped in cabbage
- Savory egg custard of clams
- Trio of ‘Boiled chicken with spicy sauce, Foie Gras riceball & Deep fried whitefish wrapped in macrophyll’
- Mousse of clam soup
- Sea Bream, Shrimp and Squid Sashimi
- Charcoal grilled Bamboo Shoots
- Chicken wings with seasonal wild vegetable salad
- Monk fish hot pot
- Baby shrimp ( fresh and dried) rice
- Dessert of White Coffee and Black sesame sherbet
- Petit four of Cherry blossom rice cake
- Choice of coffee or Japanese roasted tea.
Once again, a delightful meal amongst wonderful company!