I always look forward to reading the Thanksgiving posts each year and didn't see one started for this year yet. I am currently trying to figure out the logistics of hosting my family and squeezing in a short visit with my husband's family… smack in the middle of the day! My family tradition is that we do a first course of homemade manicotti, salad, and meatball soup (Italian Wedding soup, but in our family, it will always be ¨meatball soup¨) and then later in the day have the big traditional meal. I have a pretty big contingent of picky eaters and/or traditionalists and I don't have the details of the menu finalized but so far it's looking like:
- Gravy - Probably Ina's make-ahead
- Mashed potatoes
- Fresh green beans
- Sweet potato casserole with pecan streusel
- Sausage stuffing - double batch
- Stove top - for the picky eaters
- Veggie casserole - sort of like the reviled green bean but with a fresh mushroom/swiss cheese sauce
- Cauliflower with cheese sauce
- Mashed rutabagas
- Canned cranberry sauce per picky eaters
- Cranberry walnut rolls (I love them with the cranberries/walnuts and my husband likes to make sandwiches on them, my nephew always asks me to make one batch without.)
- Pumpkin pie - Libby's filling, probably Stella Park´s pie crust
- Apple pumpkin streusel cake (my favorite to eat cold out of the fridge for breakfast the next day)
- Coconut Custard Pie
Former (?) CH Roxlet's recipe - has become a family favorite!
- Apple frangipane galette
Looking forward to hearing everyone else´s menus!
Invite a friend to chime in on this discussion.Email a Friend
by Amy Sowder and Jen Wheeler | Many of us have had it with the pumpkin madness. Enough already with these pumpkin-spiced lattes and...
by David Watsky | Think you're a picky eater? Don't worry, even the best chefs in the world have foods they didn't always...
Sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest tips, tricks, recipes and more, sent twice a week.