Well, another Thai restaurant has opened in W'Burg.
Same concept as the popular Kai Kai's in the East and West village, Tai Thai offers cheap meal ($4.95 for lunch). The fact the food is so cheap may contribute to the poor quality of food they produce - not that Kai Kai's are any better. The curries at Tai Thai are too sweet, so are other dishes they served. Pad Thai, let's not even talk about how flavorless they are or how over cook the noodle is, they tastes more like bad take out Chinese food.
I have seen development of Thai Restaurant since the beginning of 1990's when I moved to the Burg.
- Planet Thai was OK, because it was the only Thai restaurant in that neighborhood. Now that the place is so gigantic, they cannot seem to be able to control the quality of their food. Also, the fact that they now have low quality Sushi bar does not help.
- SEA, the decor is impressive club like experience, but the food is equally as bad if not worse than Tai Thai - overly sweet. The food at SEA is may be even sweeter than Tai Thai, which I do not understand why. (Thai food is supposed to be about the balance of all flavors.) And not to mention the hours you have to wait to eat the food that is definitely not worth the wait and the absolutely the worst service I have ever experienced.
- Chai, on the other hand probably crates the renaissance of Thai cuisine in WBurg. The Chefs are very well trained. The service is the best to the bunch. The waitresses are very attentive and friendly, especially the lady with long black hair. Food is probably as authentic as Sriprapai, yet there are rooms for the Chefs to be creative. The desserts, even though they are not very Thai, are divine. And also it is more comfortable as a restaurant than SEA. The only thing I wish for is a full bar.
- Tai Thai, probably is probably my least favorite of them all. The food is bad and the atmosphere is dreadful. (At least SEA is a fun place to soak in the ambience.)
I will rank the Thai restaurants as followed:
1. Chai if you want real and authentic Thai food without treking to Queens.
2. SEA, only to hang out and get small things to eat. It is not a place to expect good food.
3. Planet Thai. I don't think I would go there if I have the other two options.
4. Tai Thai. I will not go there again. I tried them twice already.