OK, last jello post, promise ... but this was sooo good.
I really loved the recipe from Martha Stewart for fresh blackberry-red wine gelatin. I decided to give strawberries a try and simplify Martha's recipe a bit.
For strawberries I thought some sort of pink wine would be nice. After the blackberry gelatin, I was starting to suspect the wine needed to be in the background and let the fresh fruit star. Nothing too interesting.
So I chose the wine mainly on color ... the brighest pink ... ok, the sign also said it won a few awards, but it was $5.98 a bottle ... how good could it be?
Actually it was a nice little sipping wine and was perfect for this dessert. It is 2005 Forest Glen White Merlot. I can't tell you how lucious and juicy and strawberry-licious this gelatin tastes.
Martha's recipe had all this fussy stuff ... one packet of gelatin plus one teaspoon ... that sort of thing. I rounded stuff off. So here's the recipe ... I know Martha would be happy for me ... someone who needs a cookbook to boil and egg ... using her inspriation and ... well, doing better.
Strawberry white merlot gelatin
1/2 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1 packet of Knox gelatin
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup of pink wine
1 pint of fresh strawberries
1. Prepare an ice bath
2. Hull and quarter strawberries
3. Combine wine and sugar in a sauce pan and bring to a boil
4. In a heat-proof bowl, combine apple juice and water and sprinkle gelatin on top. Let sit for 5 minutes
5. Add strawberries to boiling wine and simmer 5 minutes
6. Add hot mixture to apple juice and gelatin bowl.
7. Put bowl in ice bath and stir for five minutes to cool.
8. Put strawberries in covered serving cups like tupperware and put in the fridge ... about 3 hours to chill
9. Eat and enjoy
Previous gelatin post
- Blackberry red wine gelatin
- Orange basil gelatin
- Pineapple ginger gelatin