Hey everyone. A core group of friends and I will be heading down to the Outer Banks (Kill Devil Hills specifically) later this summer. We've been there once before (I wrote up a post about it) and excited to go back. I have a fairly good idea of the places we'll be going to, but a few questions linger. Hopefully you all can help me out.
1) Blue Point. Two years ago we opted for Ocean Boulevard because it was closer to where we lived. Now, I'm itching to go to Blue Point. However, visiting the website mentions "The New Blue Point". Is this new redesign a sign of new management? Is it different than before? Should I be worried?
2) East NC BBQ. I'm not planning on eating BBQ on the beach (especially since the only apparent real option is up in Corolla). But what I've been seeing is glimpses of recommendations on Rt 158 on the drive down here. I've seen sparse recommendations for BJ's BBQ & Currituck BBQ Co. Any thoughts / recommendations between the two or any others I should look at? I'm hoping for the real thing here (lived in the triangle for 4 years and have spent some time in Lexington NC as well): chopped pork w/ slaw and hush puppies please. If the options aren't that good, please tell me; I won't be upset. I'd rather just pick up some Chick-Fil-A then.
3) Fresh Local Seafood to Take Home and Cook. Pretty much as it sounds. Where's the best place to buy fresh fish/seafood? I'm not talking about Steamer Buckets though. If there's a market I should hit up somewhere or sometime, let me know. The only one I see ever mentioned is Austin's.
4) She Crab Soup. Recommendations? Both carry-out & eating in options welcome.
5) Outer Banks Brewing Station. Thinking about visiting because we all appreciate trying out new beers. However, I haven't heard a lot about it looking through the boards. This would be a lunch visit for us. How is the lunch food? How is the beer (is this something I should ask in the Beer board?)
6) Capt'n Franks. An institution obviously. But is it worth it? We didn't go last time because it came down to being "just hotdogs" and we would rather try more local flair (like John's Drive-In). But maybe it's really just that good? Weigh in with your opinion!
Please keep suggestions in a 10mi radius from KDH (except for the drive-down BBQ of course). That's basically from Duck down to the Causeway. Thanks so much for your help.
Updated 1 year ago | 4
Updated 9 hours ago | 22
Updated 3 days ago | 26
Updated 6 days ago | 26
Updated 19 hours ago | 23