I seem to be running on a really long streak of bad experiences in restaurants lately. The latest was at Sorrentino's South.
Lunch for 6 ladies - our annual christmas lunch for our department at work.
Let's start by saying the whole thing went wrong before we even got there - we forgot one of the ladies when we left the office!! One of us had to go back and pick her up.
I could go into a lot of detail because it really was an awful experience, however, I will just highlight the things that went wrong.
1. We ordered 3 beverages, only two showed up, had to request the third again.
2. A glass of water was tipped into the lap of the lady whose beverage was missed, by a waiter who was putting down a beverage for another diner.
3. Two ladies out of six ordered the same entree, we were told the kitchen thought it was a mistake so they didn't make two - so the lady with the wet lap didn't get her meal.
4. By the time the missed meal was discovered and corrected we were all finished eating so she had it wrapped up to go.
5. Another round of drinks and one was missed.
6. My boss ordered a refill, which didn't show up, so she ordered another one, then got two within a minute or so of each other.
7. Three of us had our plates cleared, asked for doggy bags, one of the three got thrown out, the waitress claimed it was a miscommunication, she didn't realize that we all said yes please to having the leftovers packed up.
8. We had made a special request at the beginning of the experience, and were not told whether they could honour it or not until we asked for the bill.
9. Lunch for 6 took two hours from the time we arrived. We ordered meals only, no appetizers or desserts, we didn't have time.
The food was decent. One lady ordered the duo of veal, and was very disappointed. The veal scallopini was two little thin pieces, smaller than a playing card in size, and the veal marsala was a small pile of tiny pieces of veal with very thinly sliced mushrooms and a small bowl of pasta and sauce in the center of a very large plate. My co-worker who ordered this thought the veal at Chianti's new northside location was far superior. The linguini pescatore in white wine sauce was well liked as usual. The chicken dish (this is one they forgot to make two of) was very good. This was a strange one though, when they did bring the second order the pasta side dish was a different size on the second one (it was smaller) - not sure what that was about.
We usually go to this location for Administrative Professionals Day with our COO but I doubt we will return next year.
All in all it was a memorable experience, not in a good way, and I doubt we will ever return. Not sure how much the bill was, we were told they would take the one entree off the bill, give us a discount on the entire bill because of the water incident and forgotten beverages, but we pulled a prank on our co-workers and left the bill with our CFO (along with a note to say thanks!) so we didn't see the bill.
4208 Calgary Trail South, Edmonton, AB T6J 6Y8, CA