It's been such a long time since I last went to No Signboard Seafood Restaurant, one of Singapore's best-known traditional seafod spots - perhaps nearly 2 decades or more. Several factors for this: (1) No Signboard's flagship outlet is situated right in the middle of Geylang, Singapore's notorious red-light district, (2) The last time I was there - I found its chili crabs and black pepper crabs gelignite-hot, way beyond my tolerance level, and (3) there are so many other seafood spots all over the island serving similar dishes which are just as good: Red House, Palm Beach, Long Beach, Hua Zhu, etc.
But I was back there again this evening after along hiatus - to find Geylang more bustling than before, its streets teeming with recent immigrants, attracted to the district's low rent. Amidst this, No Signboard Seafood Restaurant seemed to have expanded significantly - bigger, brighter, noisier than I'd remembered.
What we had today:
- Deep-fried Chinese crullers stuffed with minced squid-paste, served with mayonaisse and beansauce dips.
- Chili crayfish with egg ribbons, served with deep-fried "man tou" buns to dip into the eggy, spicy sauce.
- Steamed red tilapia with crisp soybean crumbs. The fish was fresh and was steamed perfectly - the flesh just-cooked the way the Chinese loved it.
- Crisp-fried prawns with cereal. The prawns were so crisp, one can eat them shell-on.
- The house specialty: Sri Lankan crabs stir-fried with white pepper & scallions. This dish was purportedly created by No Signboard's founders - Ong Kim Hoi & Choo Ah Kaw, back in the 1980s.
- Seafood fried rice - this was delicious, very well-cooked indeed.
-Stir-fried pea-shoot leaves.
Nice to see that the restaurant's standards have been maintained by the family's third-generation family members. It's now a chain, with 6 outlets all over the island - but this Geylang outlet is purportedly the most popular one.
No Signboard Seafood
412/414/416 Geylang Road
Tel: +65-6842 3415
Updated 1 year ago | 1
Updated 2 years ago | 5
Updated 15 hours ago | 9
Updated 6 days ago | 20
Updated 14 days ago | 35