Had a satisfying Sunday family lunch at Chui Huay Lim Teochew Cuisine near Newton Circus today. Dishes which we had:
- Teochew Puning Steamed Chicken with fermented beans - deliciously marinated chicken. The sauce went well with steamed white rice;
- Deep-fried Ngoh Hiang - light & crisp, one of the better-tasting versions in Singapore
- Pig Trotter Jelly - not to my taste: too jelly-like than the flavorsome aspic-encased pig's trotters I'd expected. Avoid this;
- Teochew Steamed Pomfret - the BEST in town, bar none. A bit expensive: I ordered a 1kg pomfret which costed S$98 (US$70). Served 6 though, so quite worth it. The Teochew-style flavorings included salted mustard leaves, tomatoes, sour plum, ginger and lard. Delish!
- Braised conpoy with eight vegetarian treasures - also one of the best I'd ever had in Singapore. Highly recommended!
- Teochew Fried Oyster Omelette - delicious. Strong oyster flavors permeate the omelette.
- Teochew Fried Kway Teow with Kai Lan - "wok hei" fragrance. Slightly salty for my taste, but not oily like the famous Swa Garden version.
- Teochew braised goose with tofu - I found the goose here to dry and hard. Tofu was nice.
- Sweet Yam Paste with Pumpkin and Gingko nuts - light and not too sweet. Perfect ending to a good meal.
Chui Huay Lim Teochew Cuisine
190 Keng Lee Road
#01-02, Chui Huay Lim Club
Tel: +65 6732 3637