Jim Thompson (Thailand) has just opened its newest restaurant at dining enclave Dempsey Hill. Lavish, spectacular dining hall filled with Jim Thompson's home collection furnishings.
Foodwise, it stuck to pretty much standard fare. We ordered:
- Yam som o - pomelo salad, average-tasting;
- Som tam - green mango salad: the Thai cooks inexplicably went berserk with the chillis here: it was so hot, our tongues were scalded - we stuck to the yam som o afterwards;
- Red curry with beef tenderloin - pretty unspectacular, although it's rich, with liberal portions of beef slices, eggplants & also pea-egglants (ma khuea phueng);
- Khai luk koei - "son-in-law's eggs", which are hard-boiled then fried eggs, with tamarind dressing. Well-executed but very simple dish;
- Kai Yarng - Isarn-style barbecued chicken, again another dish which is lacking in taste or fragrance;
- Fried kai lan vegetables with oyster sauce.
- Pad Thai noodles.
For such a sumptious restaurant, the dishes all felt strangely flat. We can't taste/smell any fish sauce (nam pla) at all. Clientele are mainly Westerners, with nary a Thai in sight.
Service staff are all pretty new, and doesn't seem very familiar with the menu or the names of the dishes yet (our waitress mixed up "yam som o" & "som tam" when she served us).
Hopefully, these are just teething problems & Jim Thompson can get its act together - in order to warrant its astronomical prices at least. Else, it's back to Golden Mile (Little Thailand) in Beach Road for me.
45 Minden Road
Tel: 6475 6088