How to shop for Victorian teacups?


Cookware 10

How to shop for Victorian teacups?

Pei | Aug 9, 2007 12:51 AM

The pre-wedding shopping craze continues...

I'm half kidding. I've always wanted to own a nice set of teacups. The kind you use when you go to fancy afternoon tea with the ladies.

So I know I'm looking for a Victorian style bone china set. I like flowers, light lively colors, not so much birds or butterflies. Ladybugs, for some reason, are okay. I love Roy Kirkham, for example, but maybe something more gilded and frilly in this case.

Where do I start? I don't even know the proper terminology to start looking on ebay, and I typed "china teacups" into Amazon and got a few really boring Royal Doulton sets--you know, the red/gold/white ones with a lot of roses on them.

How do I look for something more interesting? What's a good number of cups saucers to start with?

And what are those three-tiered dessert trays called? Is a silver one the best or is a china one easier to upkeep?

PS: I like this

Want to stay up to date with this post?

Recommended From Chowhound