Home Cooking


What's that shiny glaze on top of tarts?


Home Cooking 8

What's that shiny glaze on top of tarts?

nooodles | Feb 22, 2006 01:54 AM

What do bakeries use to glaze tarts to keep the fruit from browning in the open air?

I know on a berry tart I can use a jam-like substance, but I really want an option that's not reddish.

What is it? I know Italian bakeries sell those clear gel sheets (they're dry, and you moisten them), but I don't think that was what was used on this tart. Those things are pretty rubbery tasting, and this glaze was watery ans sweet. Was it just a thick sugar syrup?

Image: http://www.chezpei.com/uploaded_image...

Want to stay up to date with this post?

Recommended From Chowhound