Ok, so I have this pile of family who will be visiting us for a few days next weekend. I've been grappling with how to feed them for weeks already and am now willing to throw the challenge out to Chowhounds to help me come up with simple, yet delicious menus. I will give you the schedule and restrictions. Believe me, this is not for the faint of heart. Here goes:
- I need the following meals: Saturday evening dinner; Sunday brunch (the least of my worries, actually); Sunday evening dinner.
- Saturday we will have a substantial lunch, so dinner can be lighter but must still be good.
- Sunday dinner will follow an afternoon away from the house.
- Kosher (I am not, but I can buy kosher meat and avoid mixing with dairy - this will satisfy them)
- I will be away from home Friday afternoon until Saturday afternoon. We will all be arriving back here more or less at the same time late Saturday afternoon.
My problems are obvious. I will not be home to cook much ahead of time before either Saturday or Sunday dinners. Things need to be prepared in advance, if possible. I can throw together easy desserts, but am looking for good mains around which to build these meals. No big pots of chili, please, or other crowd-pleasing things that one might serve a less demanding group. These are colourfully neurotic New Yorkers.