I've got slightly overstretched on a Christmas dinner party and the guestlist has hit 25 people! I'm going to do a roast turkey and the usual trimmings (traditional to the UK, American friends; think thanksgiving meal). However its occurred to me that I won't be able to buy a turkey that serves that many people (or fit it in my oven). So I'm going to need to do another joint of meat. Normally this is no problem, I'd grab a nice big joint and slow roast it. However in this instance I won't have the use of my oven as this great big turkey will take up most of the space on the day itself. Even once the turkey is resting my oven will be full with other vegetables.
So I'm looking for ideas for a joint of meat I can cook either in advance, or not in my oven. My main criteria are:
- Serves at least 10-15 people
- Need to be able to order in a Halal butchers
- No poultry (already got a turkey), no pork (see above)
- Not too pricey, I don't mind investing in quality but I can't afford to drop £100s on prime beef
Additional equipment I have:
- Gas hob
- Slow cooker
- Outdoor smoker (I could maybe smoke something in the days before, but can't rely on the day in case of bad weather)
- Ghetto Sous vide (thermapen, pan and hob)
by Toniann Pasqueralle | Banana bread may very well be one of the greatest and most versatile gifts ever to be bestowed upon...
by Jen Wheeler | Is there anything more perfect than a steamy bowl of soup to fortify you on a bone-chilling winter...
by Patty Lee | The pastry case at a French bakery can hold a dizzying array of baked goods. There are breads, cakes...