Had dinner ealier this week at this recently-opened "south of the border" restaurant inside the new Broadway & Madison Silver Cloud Inn, and was not impressed. Food was uninspiring, service confused and annoying. Food:
* tortilla soup - oversalted, otherwise not much taste to it
* black bean dip with chorizo - tasty, but a bit odd
* wild mushroom quesadilla - essentially flavorless
* chicken mole quesadilla - not bad, but very little mole flavor
* pork ribs with tamarind recado - ribs were dried-out and chewy, but with big chunks of unrendered fat; no discernable tamarind flavor
Server solicited comments on the food, and, when he heard negative ones, dismissed our dissatisfaction as the result of startup jitters in the kitchen, and took no further action to repair our experience.
As one might imagine, they won't be seeing me again soon.