Chowhound Presents: Table Talk with Yotam Ottolenghi and Helen Goh of Sweet: Desserts from London's Ottolenghi | Ask Your Questions Now ›


BBQs & Grills Help Me Identify

SE/mainland Asia Grill experts - what is this?


Cookware 7

SE/mainland Asia Grill experts - what is this?

Ernie Diamond | Sep 6, 2012 05:36 PM

Okay, it's a grill of sorts. I get that. Is there a name for it? I bought it today in an Asian supermarket for $25. Writing on the clay surface is Thai but the Chinese staff there kept explaining to me how old-fashioned it was and how great it was for BBQ. Truth be told, I think they were getting nostalgic.

I found one shot online that identified it as being popular among Korean restaurant owners living in Thailand but I'm stumped.

Would love to see some videos of ones similar to it in action. If you can't tell from the picture, there is a small compartment below what look to be heat vents in the middle section. Above the vents is a rig which looks to be angled so as to accept a wok or large pot. Do the coals go on the bottom? On the section with the holes? What?

I want to do some grilling over it this weekend, bun cha if I can. If you are familiar with this device or have seen something similar, help me out with some pointers, a name by which it is called or best yet, some videos.

Want to stay up to date with this post?

Recommended From Chowhound