The groundskeeper where I work pointed out a huge stand of sassafras to me this morning. I know that file powder is made from the dried leaves, but when I "googled" it, it sounds like it's poisonous, unless treated in some way that removes the poisonous element.
Does anyone know if this applies to the leaves, or just bark and roots?
As just a side note, the leaves are so interesting. There are three different shapes on the same branch,some have three lobes, some, two, and others, none, just a rounded edge.