Please forgive me if I ramble on, but we’re planning 5 nights the Basque country in November, and I had hoped I might find some advice here.
First of all, I know November is not the best time of year to go. We’re prepared for rain and cold.
Secondly, we arrive on Sunday afternoon in San Se, and leave from Bilbao (airport) on Friday. Arrival is by train from Bordeaux, so where we start the trip is somewhat flexible.
So, on to the questions:
1) Many restos in San Se seem to be closed Sun/Mon and many on Tuesday. How hard should we twist around our plans so as to be there on different days? Will all the great pinxto bars and good restos be closed on those nights?
2) We booked at the Pension Bella-Artes, a modest place that’s #1 on TripAdvisor. We looked at Villa Soro, but decided that it might be a bit far from the old town if there were a lot of rain. Are we making a mistake?
3) It seems that Akelare is open on Tuesday for lunch, so we might try to book there for our one 3-star meal. Is that the place you’d pick? (Going there means staying a 3rd night in the San Se area which unfortunately limits the overall set of places we can visit. If there were a really top-notch resto closer to Bilbao, that might afford more options.)
4) We had thought that we might stay a night in Getaria, there is at least one nice small hotel there. We had hoped to eat at Elkano, but it is closed for vacation. Is Kaia-Kaipe (which is open) of similar quality? Or would you push further down the coast to find similar pretty accomodations and great local seafood?
5) We are torn between traveling south to Vitoria (with its Cathedral and museums) and west to the area closer to Guernika. How would you choose?
Thanks very much for any advice you can give!
Updated 17 days ago | 13
Updated 3 months ago | 3
Updated 24 days ago | 3
Updated 2 months ago | 3
Updated 2 months ago | 4