Recommended by my wife's customers, this place is not a food-serving place, it's a billiard/pool room. They serve snacks to their billiard customers, and the best banh-mi.
98 East San Salvador
between 2nd and 3rd (closer to 3rd)
(they don't have a business card, I had to write this down on a napkin)
It's located in downtown San Jose, next to the famous Dakao sandwich (at the corner of E San Salvador and 3rd).
While Dakao sandwich charges $1.25 for a sandwich, these guys pack a pound of meat in an 8" french bread for $2.25. Some may not like the higher meat-over-carbohydrate ratio.
I'm not a food critic so I cannot (don't know how to express yummmm) describe to you what/why I like it, but I beleive you got a lot more quantitatively.
1. Banh-mi Ba-roi, a barbequed pork with 50% lard (fat), which seems to be everybody's favorite. Beware if you have a heart or diabetic condition.
2. Banh-mi xiu-mai (pork meat ball with its own delicious sauce). They only serve this from Friday to Sunday, but I came yesterday (Sunday) at noon and they were out of both types. Xiu-mai has a much smaller fat content.
- seating area is made of 2 tables, 4 chairs. It's mainly for people waiting for a pool table.
- parking not a problem during working hours, but little available on off hours. Use the street.
- cigarette smoke from the pool playing crowd.
- cater to the Vietnamese crowd, may have problem with communication.