Propelled to finally post (3+ yrs lurking) having had an exciting 'houndish experience last night.
Wandered into the former Village Fruit store location (2 doors up from the B&D in Wash. Sq.) hot on the trial of good produce. Well, the bad news is that produce purveyors ala Village Fruit this place is NOT. BUT great good news for interesting, eastern european/russian, cheap and yummie Finds:
- All manner of tinned fish, sprats (!) galore.
- Jarred and canned spreads, sweet and savory
- Usual deli meats and cheeses (didn't explore too deeply)
- Excellent fresh homemade salads and prepared foods! Just finished the most lovely brocolli and mushroom and a mushroom and chicken melange :) Deelish.
- Much much many more candies, deserts, sweets, prettily wrapped foil and penny candy than say Sevan, Arax, et al. The prices on the average seem lower too.
Quite a fun find. Not clear if it's REALLY new as the extremely good-hearted counter-woman said or just relocated from elsewhere (if so it's a great move by my lights).
p.s. Thanks to all for increasing my reading/eating pleasure.