Just as a background. I moved from home to the UK at the beginning of the year but before then I was cooking rice for me and my parents ~4 times a week using the "absorption" method. I can make perfect rice pretty much with my eyes closed and I don't need to measure my rice or water. So I don't have any issues with method/measurements.
Now, a few weeks after I started cooking rice when moved to the UK, the first few pots of rice were fine, then I started noticing that when I put the rice in the boiling water, whether I'm cooking peas and rice, yellow rice or regular white rice, the water would thicken and turn white (well, the water for the peas & rice/yellow rice doesn't exactly turn white but the colour of the water gets lighter as if it was mixed with white water). It also has a undesirable taste that comes along with it.
I have no clue what's causing the problem.:
- It doesn't happen to my sister.
- I tried my room mate's pot and one of my smaller pots, same issue.
- I changed everything from the rice (same as what my sister uses), to the butter & oil, the salt, even tried bottled water instead of tap. Same problem.
- I notice that if I wash my rice vigorously it's barely noticeable, although sometimes it still happens.
- I even tried basmati and jasmine rice. Same issue.
I would hate to think that it's because the rice needs washing, because my sister doesn't wash hers as thoroughly as I wash mine and she doesn't have the same issue. I have a gas stove and she has electric burners but I've cooked rice loads of times on gas burners so I'm absolutely clueless.