Last night, a bunch of us went to Hop Woo in West LA (corner of Olympic & Sepulveda).
We're all Chinese, most of us being born in Hong Kong or Taiwan, so we usually gravitate to eating Chinese food.
What a disappointment Hop Woo was yesterday!
Between the 5 of us, we had 6 dishes:
1) Hot & Sour Soup - Free
2) Stir-Fry Shrimp w/ Veggies
3) Sweet & Sour Fish Fillet
4) "Salt/Pepper & Peppers" Spare Ribs
5) MaPo (Szechuan) Tofu
6) 1/2 BBQ Chicken (Free with orders over $20).
I used to eat at Hop Woo a few times in the past, but never remembered their dishes being so bad.
1) Soup - Eeewww. As far as the "sour" part...okay, that was fine. But as far as the "hot" (spicy) part, WAAYYY too spicy. My girlfriend couldn't even finish her bowl b/c it was too spicy. On top of that, the soup came out semi-warm, almost like it had been sitting on the counter for a while.
2) Shrimp - In my opinion, it was too salty. Nothing impressive, though. A few stir-fry shrimp on a bed of bean sprouts.
3) MaPo Tofu I wasnt very happy with this dish. I think all they did was dump in a couple of tablespoons of generic hot sauce into the sauce, instead of picking a more appropriate flavor for the Tofu. The color was a very dark brown, due to the choice of hot sauce.
4) Fish Fillet & Spare Ribs Just okay. Nothing too impressive.
5) BBQ Chicken Needless to say, still pretty darn good.
I believe that their BBQ meats are still pretty well-known and pretty good, but everything else, IMO, has gone drastically down hill. I wonder if they recently changed chefs or something, that would cause a change like this in their cuisine. The next time I go, Im just going to order their BBQ pork or duck.
Has anybody else eaten there recently?