I received a single black truffle as a Christmas gift, and I'm seeking advice of what to do with it just for me.
My initial plan is scrambled egg with truffle, to make sure that I'm getting the "pure" flavor in a traditional setting.
But even there I could use some advise from experienced chow-hounders.
(1) should I shave the truffle or grate it with a microplaner?
(2) should I scramble the eggs and then add the truffle at the end?
(3) or should I mix up the truffle and eggs and then cook?
(4) should I scramble the eggs in a double boiler type set up, or in a very low heat frying pay?
(5) can i do this with (say) 3-4 eggs (just for me with a bite or two for my wife), or do I need to follow recipes that start with (say) 8 eggs (and invite others)?
(6) How much -- and when and how -- butter should be added and is butter quality critical (land o lakes ok, or should I seek out french/irish/vermont special butter)?
Finally (I suppose I'm willing to listen to advice on this)
(7) Should I really use the truffles for some other use (risotto?) rather than just simple plain eggs?