I've read a lot of the postings here (and on the southwest board), and got a lot of great ideas -- thanks to everyone who posted! But I'd like to ask for more feedback...
And, of course, I'm leaving tomorrow. Wish I could plan my vacations earlier... ;-)
Background: 2.5 days staying in Reno [at the Atlantis], but taking side trips to explore the Tahoe area and Carson City. Possibly Truckee (it's on the way) and Virginia City. Maybe Placerville on the way back.
What I'm looking for is good, interesting food, without necessarily the atmosphere -- although I'd rather stay away from crowded casinoesque places. Eclectic is fine, but no seafood.
So far my list is pretty Reno-centric:
- Beto's for Mexican
- Nugget (not the casino, I assume) for an "Awful Awful"
- Bangkok for Thai (if it's still good?)
- maybe Pho777 (but there's great Pho at home)
The questions I have are:
1) The only mention I heard for Carson City is the Villa Basque Deli, but the posting only mentioned chorizo. Anywhere else around there?
2) Anything around the south side of Lake Tahoe that isn't a ludicrously expensive steak/seafood joint?
3) Any reasons to visit Virginia City? (it's off the beaten path, but I can't tell that anything's there -- there was mention of a steam train ride but it's ancient, and no mention of food whatsoever)
4) If you were returning from Reno to the SF area, and wanted to take 50 (instead of I80) -- is it worth it? Is there anywhere decent to eat on 50? (the only large city seems to be Placerville)
.and, of course, (5) are the Reno recs still good? Do they still exist?? [once I took a 2.5hr drive up to what was supposed to be an amazing Thai place, only to find it had burnt down six months ago... whimper...]
Many thanks in advance!