I'm posting this recipe for Utica Greens in response to a posting on General Topics. The OP was asking what specific foods US states are famous for.
One resulting post (Hi Junie D) requested a recipe for this favorite of mine from my Utica days. Please let me know how you like it!
1 cup Yukon Gold potatoes cut in 1 cubes
½ t. dried parsley
½ t. ea. Onion & garlic powder
½ t. paprika
1/2 chopped Vidalia onion
2 heads escarole
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 t. crushed red pepper
8oz. chicken broth
4 oz. thinly sliced hard salami
½ cup bread crumbs
6 minced garlic cloves
½ cup Romano cheese
freshly chopped parsley
1. Potatoes: Toss in a zip lock bag with ¼ cup olive oil, dried parsley, garlic and onion powder and paprika. Roast for ½ hour at 350. Set aside.
2. Greens: Sauté garlic and onion in 1 T olive oil; add chopped escarole and cook through. Add chicken broth, julienned salami, crushed red pepper and potatoes. Simmer till stock reduced (about 45 min).
3. Combine bread crumbs with 2 T oil. Toast until brown. Mix half with greens
4. Add Romano cheese and place in greased baking pan.
5. Top with remaining half of crumbs
6. Bake in oven at 350 for 15 min.
7. Garnish with parsley