This is my go-to pizza crust and pizza sauce recipe for whenever I want a homemade pizza quick! It never fails me and works out great on busy weeknights.
I try different homemade pizza crusts all the time, however I always come back to this lover. What I love about this pizza crust besides it being simple and delicious, is that it doesn’t require that long resting period like most yeast pizza crusts.
A good 5, 10, 15, 20, or 30 minutes is all it needs, although I’ve even skipped that when I’m really pressed for time and shoved it right into the oven as soon as I was done pressing it out.
This homemade pizza crust is fabulous! It has the perfect thickness, softness and yeastiness!
Oh and the homemade pizza sauce? Wait until you try it!! You’re not gonna believe how bold it tastes without even having to simmer all day.
Don’t let that long recipe down there scare you. Once you make it for the first time you’ll be whipping it up by heart in no time.
• QUICK HOMEMADE PIZZA SAUCE RECIPE
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• ½ cup white onions, finely diced
• 2 large cloves garlic, minced
• 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (drained and pureed)
• 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
• 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
• 1 teaspoon brown sugar
• ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
• ½ cup chicken broth
• splash of red wine (optional)
• QUICK HOMEMADE PIZZA CRUST (12 inch pizza)
• 1 cup very warm water
• 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
• 1 packet active dry yeast
• 2½ cups all-purpose flour (sifted)
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 heaping teaspoon Italian seasoning
• 1 heaping teaspoon parmesan cheese
• Mozzarella cheese
• green bell pepper, diced
• black olives
• turkey pepperoni
1. For the sauce….
2. Add olive oil into a large skillet over medium heat.
3. Add onions and sauté until tender.
4. Stir in garlic and cook just until fragrant.
5. Stir in pureed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, parmesan cheese, brown sugar and red pepper flakes.
6. Slowly stir in chicken broth.
7. Bring to a light boil and then reduce heat to barely a simmer.
8. Cook until liquid is reduced to your liking.
9. Taste and adjust seasoning *see note below*
10. To make the crust, in a small bowl or glass, add 1 teaspoon sugar to very warm water.
11. Stir in yeast and let sit for 10-15 minutes to allow the yeast to proof.
12. When yeast is ready add mixture to a large bowl.
13. Stir in flour, salt, remaining sugar, oil, Italian seasoning and parmesan cheese.
14. When dough forms, place dough on a lightly floured surface and kneed gently with oiled hands.
15. Press the dough into a lightly greased 12-inch pizza pan. Be sure to keep your hands oiled with olive oil to soften the dough and make it easier to press out.
16. Cover dough with plastic wrap and place in a warm location for 30 minutes. (see note)
17. Preheat oven to 425 F.
18. When ready to serve, spread sauce over pizza.
19. Top with cheese and toppings.
20. Bake for 12 minutes or until the crust in the center of the pizza is fluffy and fully cooked.
21. Garnish with fresh basil if desired.
22. Slice and serve!
*Depending on how salty your chicken broth and tomatoes are you may or may not need to add salt. Be sure to taste and adjust the seasoning to your liking.
* If you prefer a smooth sauce simply place the sauce in a food processor and puree.
* You can totally get away with letting the dough rest for only 5-10 minutes, but if you like a bit of a fluffier crust 30 minutes in a warm and toasty location is a good minimum.
P.S I recommend the perfect pizza cutter http://amzn.to/2yv9cSZ. We use it is always a wonderful gadget for your kitchen!) And besides the multifunctional.
by Amy Schulman | Valentine’s Day is replete with plenty of bouquets of roses and heart-shaped boxes filled with truffles...
by Megan Meadows | The noms are in. The snubs have happened. Love it or hate it, it’s time to start planning what to...