I live in Seattle, but this weekend I'll be in Portland with my wife and 5-year-old, just for a change of pace, and naturally I am wondering about the best places to chow. I am totally happy to scroll through previous posts but I have enough special restrictions that I thought it might just be better to ask directly. Basically, I am looking for places that:
1) Have great food, naturally
2) Are family-tolerant, if not outright friendly
3) Are not peanut-saturated---a big restriction, since my daughter has a severe allergy. This eliminates Thai, Vietnamese, Szechuanese etc.---basically anyplace where crushed peanuts are likely to be floating around or where lots of the dishes are slathered in peanut sauce. The entire menu doesn't need to be peanut-free, she's not as sensitive as that, but we try to avoid places with powdered peanuts floating around.
4) Are reasonably near downtown, though we will drive a bit if necessary
5) Are not brewpubs, since we've done most of those already
So, Portlanders, is there anyplace we shouldn't miss for breakfast, lunch, or dinner? Price isn't a huge concern, at least compared to the criteria mentioned above, though criterion number 2 probably eliminates most of the fanciest places. Ethnic is great: Indian, Italian, Japanese, etc.---but not required. Thanks for any advice, and sorry this is so long!