with much thanks to posters here, i now made lovely thicker-skinned cold water dough pork and napa cabbage dumplings. great skins - held up to boiling then pan-frying but i hated my filling.
i think i made it TOO pasty - really...it has the cooked consistency of soft cat food - not at all appealing. my daughter and hubby think it tastes 'ok' but both agree that the restaurant fillings taste 'meatier' than mine did.
here was mine:
* For the Filling: (i doubled this recipe)
* 1 head napa cabbage finely chopped - salted (below) and then wrung out 30 min. later so no extra water
* 1 teaspoon kosher salt
* 1 bunch finely chooped (or garlic chives) The garlic chives has flat leaves unlike the regular chives which has hollow rounded leaves.
* 1/2 pound fatty ground pork NOTE: HAVE IT GROUND VERY FINE.
* 2 teaspoons soy sauce
* 1 tablespoons Shaoxing wine
* 2 teaspoons sugar
* a bit of chicken aspic/gel
* a slug of good sesame oil
no wow meat flavor - filling fell apart upon biting into the dumpling - wished it was more of a meatball style inside - not super super tight but capable of holding it's shape .
Updated 5 months ago | 6
Updated 4 months ago | 3
Updated 3 months ago | 1
Updated 5 months ago | 10
Updated 8 hours ago | 23