I’ve had my Polder probe for about a year. It worked great . . . until it didn’t. It was giving me obviously incorrect numbers on yesterday’s Thanksgiving turkey. So this morning I stuck it in boiling water and discovered it was about 20 degrees off. I really like the thermometer, when it works, so started Googling for prices of a replacement probe. After reading a bunch of reviews on Amazon from people who had their probes zonk out on them after just three and four uses and people who bought two and three probes at a time to make sure they had one on hand that worked when they needed it and people who just thought it was a piece of cr*p and were cursing the company for making a defective product, I started searching for an alternative.
I came across a Web site, can’t find it again or I’d link, that said that if moisture gets inside the probe, it will make the sensor ineffective. It said that if you boil the probe in oil, the moisture will bubble out and the probe will work again. I figured I had nothing to lose so I tried it. I put the probe into hot peanut oil and “cooked” it for about half an hour (actually, until the apartment started to get smoky and I figured that was long enough). I waited until the probe cooled and checked it in boiling water again.
Well, I’ll be damned. It worked! The thermometer registered 211 degrees. Close enough for me. The Web site recommended that once you do this, you should put shrink tubing around the connection of the probe and the wire to make sure moisture doesn’t get in there again. Next time I pass a hardware store I may explore that. But at least for now I’ve got a working probe thermometer again and couldn’t be happier to have found a fix for it.
Updated 26 days ago | 14
Updated 2 months ago | 6
Updated 1 year ago | 19
Updated 3 months ago | 4
Updated 29 days ago | 10