In the Langhe for the next two months.
You can look at the two threads from last year and 2016 to see more description about a particular place.
Below, are some thoughts on places in The Langhe.
My wife and I hope to be back, more than once, to those we really like. We also have some new (for us) places to try. After going to a place that we've written about in the past, we'll just mention if we think it has held up or if it has changed.
Our views are biased. For us, we'll rate places based on: well prepared food with high quality ingredients; good service and owners who really want you to have a good time at their restaurants and have genuine smiles; good wine list; good wine storage; pleasant ambiance. Price doesn't enter into the equation.
Places we really like for many different reasons, and in no special order:
Marsupino, Veglio, Coccinella, Il Centro in Priocca, Guido (Fontanafredda), Bardon
Places above average for us:
- La Torre in Cherasco, but not on Sunday lunch or Saturday evening
- Osteria dell' Arco in Alba
- Pane e Vino in Cherasco
- Perno near Montforte
- San Marco in Canelli
- La Locanda del Prof in Cherasco, but only on Saturday for dinner
- Osteria More e Macine in La Morra for light lunch
- Ciau we've really enjoyed it all the times we've gone, except last year, when it was not as good as previous times. We'll probably skip it this year and try again next.
- Da Renzo (Antica Corona) in Cervere. We have been there many times (over a long period of time), and have had some really fantastic dinners. The last two times were just average.
places that we don't care for:
- Battagliano in Dogliani, which was dropped this year from the Gambero Rosso. Strange!
- Locanda Fontanazza in La Morra
- La Piola in Alba
- Osteria Vignaiolo in Santa Maria, right near La Morra
- Argaj in Castiglione Falletto
- Bovio in La Morra
- La Luna nel Pozzo in Neive
- I Bologna in Rocchetta Tanaro
- Massimo Camina in Annunziata
- Barolo Friends
- Osteria Italia in S. Rocco Seno
We've left out a few places that we don't care for.