I’ve never had a pawpaw and a local farm is selling them. What do you think of pawpaws and how do you use them?
Gleaned from the web:
WHAT IT IS
Wiki with pictures, nutritional info (better than bananas) and recipe for pawpaw lassi.
“The pawpaw is related to the cherimoya and soursop, not the papaya. Pawpaws taste and feel somewhat like bananas, and can generally be used in recipes calling for bananas”
Another wiki with lots more info
Nice pictures from the local SF vendor
There are 28 varieties. Here's info about six of them
AFFINITIES: Mint, citrus, pineapple, coconut, nuts, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, vanilla, milk, cream
- eat fresh: Cut them in half and scoop the flesh out, eat, spitting out large seeds or Open one end and squeeze flesh into your mouth
- Use in recipes with little or no heat since the volatile flavor compounds are destroyed by heating … the pawpaw is best suited to recipes that require little or no heat … ice cream, sorbet, smoothies, chiffon pies, mousse, etc
- That being said, supposedly they taste similar to bananas and can be used in banana bread recipes. It is sometimes called a Hoosier or prarie banana because of the taste.
- green pawpaws can be eaten as a vegetable. They make a good substitute for squash in a curry and are delicious in a salad.
- Size varies depending on variety and are between 5 ounces and 1 pound
- Look for a plump, round shape, similar to a mango
- Fragrant floral aroma
- Yield easily to the touch like a ripe avocado
- Skin turns lighter green, then yellow and develops brown blotches like a banana
- Flesh should be yellow and soft like custard.
Pawpaws are very perishable and ripe will only keep 2 days at room temperature. They keep a week in the fridge. Storing pawpaws at less than 40F is not recommended since it often changes the flavor, producing caramel-like notes.
Freeze, don’t can when your pawpaw gets a little too ripe
Freeze measured dollops of pureed pulp on waxed paper, then wrap each individually.
FESTIVAL AND SONG
Ohio PawPaw Festival
"Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch."
Lots of recipes including pies, custards, cookies, cakes, quick breads, ice cream, pudding, preserves, jello, shake, Zabaglione, pineapple-pawpaw sherbet, punch,
Spicy Autumn Pawpaw Cake with a Pawpaw Cream Cheese Frosting
Green Paw Paw Curry & Prawns Bombay
Pawpaw chiffon pie
PAWPAW ICE CREAM, PAWPAW CREAM CAKE, PAWPAW MUFFINS
by Greg Stegeman | Barbecue sauce is a blanket term that doesn't necessarily do justice to all the regional styles of...
by Joey Skladany | As a self-proclaimed sauce connoisseur and fan of barbecue varieties specifically, I was more than...
Sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest tips, tricks, recipes and more, sent twice a week.