My husband and I went to Osaka Sushi in the Castro on Castro street (off 18th) the other night after long work day, and needing something in our neighborhood for dinner not made by ourselves. Maybe because we had such low expectations (admittedly, not a frame of mind to enter a sushi house, but we had a good feeling about the place) it surprised us with how good it was. Not *special* and not *fantastic*, but really good basic sushi and cooked dishes.
What struck us:
1.the tea I ordered tasted like good twig tea with toasted brown rice which I believe is called Kukicha.
2. The tuna poke salad was really well dressed and delicious
3. The salmon cheeks were actually out-of-this-world - super hot from the grill and served with a great cool sauce for dipping which was perfectly lemony/scalliony/salty and cold.
4. The service was completely unaffected and absolutely charming. The waitress was so excited that I got salmon cheeks, she could hardly contain herself.
5. everytime my husband was near finishing his masu of sake, the waitress offered more.
6. Good sushi, too. The Osaka roll was really good: cooked tuna rolled and topped with raw tuna with asparagus.
I wouldn't go across town to get to this place, but if one lives anywhere close to the Castro, it's just perfect.