Chowhound Presents: Table Talk with with Michelle Tam of Nom Nom Paleo | Ask Your Questions Now ›

General Discussion

Orange and Pink Cheese Molds -- Really (Really!) Bad or ..."Not So Much"?


General Discussion 3

Orange and Pink Cheese Molds -- Really (Really!) Bad or ..."Not So Much"?

alkapal | Sep 28, 2010 05:49 AM

Help me sort out whether I should absolutely not scrape or cut pink or orange molds on the cheese in the fridge.

I googled, but haven't found much definitive on the problems with the molds -- in detail and not generalities.

Here are some bits of info that I''ve googled.

>>>>"""The big aspect of cheese mold acceptability is that you stay away from any black, orange, or pink molds. These are no good and can be a true detriment to your cheeseā€¦and potentially your sensitive stomach if eaten in large doses."""<<<<

So, reading that, I see that there are a couple of qualifiers in that sentence that make me think it ain't so bad to cut off the pink or orange mold and eat the cheese in moderation....


This USDA info sheet isn't much more helpful!!!!

Hard cheese
(not cheese where mold is part of the processing) Use. Cut off at least 1 inch around and below the mold spot (keep the knife out of the mold itself so it will not cross-contaminate other parts of the cheese). After trimming off the mold, re-cover the cheese in fresh wrap. Mold generally cannot penetrate deep into the product.

Cheese made with mold
(such as Roquefort, blue, Gorgonzola, Stilton, Brie, Camembert)
Discard soft cheeses such as Brie and Camembert if they contain molds that are not a part of the manufacturing process.
If surface mold is on hard cheeses such as Gorgonzola and Stilton, cut off mold at least 1 inch around and below the mold spot and handle like hard cheese (above). Molds that are not a part of the manufacturing process can be dangerous.

Soft cheese
(such as cottage, cream cheese, Neufchatel, chevre, Bel Paese, etc.) Crumbled, shredded, and sliced cheeses (all types) Discard.
Foods with high moisture content can be contaminated below the surface. Shredded, sliced, or crumbled cheese can be contaminated by the cutting instrument. Moldy soft cheese can also have bacteria growing along with the mold.""""<<<<

Help me expert hounds! Please! I want to rescue the cheese! (Citations to scientific or authoritative articles get extra points!)

Want to stay up to date with this post?

Recommended From Chowhound