Tonight at Rikishi on Bloor (near Christie Pits) I asked, for a second time, whether they would do an Omakase meal. Last time, the server demurred, saying they didn't know what we'd like. This time, she took the question back to the kitchen and after an extended conference, returned to offer us a menu at $30 (maybe it was because we were the only customers in the place?)
Here's what $30 got us:
1. Amuse of deep fried bean curd with snow peas
2. Clear soup with three kinds of mushrooms and wakame
3. Sunomono (daikon & carrot, cucumber and seaweed) with marinated octupus, mackerel and pollock
4. Grilled snapper with ponzu sauce
5. Lotus root, diced shrimp and shiitakes, formed into a patty and deep-fried
6. Hand roll of tuna belly and avocado
7. Assorted sushi (tuna, salmon, snapper, eel, mackerel, shrimp and one other) and three pieces of a mackerel roll with white seaweed
8. Green tea and Pumpkin ice creams.
Every course was delicious, and the service was great as well.
We both agreed it was as big a "wow" as a similar menu at Sushi Kaji, but at about a third the price. We left stuffed and very, very, happy.