Thought it was time to do an updated review of takeout dim sum in Oakland Chinatown – a lot of the opinions I expressed in this thread - http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/435317 - are now outdated.
Delicious Food Company’s har gow – the wrappers have gotten soft to the point of gumminess, and the filling dominated by the flavor of bamboo shoot now.
Tao Yuen Pastry’s sticky rice wrapped in mantou dough – the last few times I’ve gotten this, the edges of the steamed bun wrapper have been hard
Sun Sing’s baked char siu bao, and the rice noodle roll stuffed with fried dough, topped with green onion (currently my favorite takeout dimsum item in Chinatown). It’s seasoned enough that you don’t need any sauce, and the dough stays surprisingly crisp, considering it's not made to order.
Delicious Food Company:
- shark fin dumpling – the top of the dumpling was dried out, filling was too salty
- siu mai – I haven’t had one in a while, but the last time I did, the filling was very salty
- pork and vegetable buns – a bit greasy, but good
- jook – I like their jook a lot.
Shan Dong (not technically a dim sum place, but their buns warrant a mention):
- steamed pork and vegetable buns are still great – giant pillowy things stuffed with seasoned ground pork
- taro croquette – really flavorful, almost mustardy tasting filling, studded with peanuts. Would have loved to have tried this hot.
I don’t plan on re-trying Sum Yee anytime soon, but I think it’s time to make the rounds to Napolean Super Bakery and Big Dish again. Anyone else have input? With these takeout places, it always takes a ton of trial and error to figure out what they’re good at.
Tao Yuen Pastry
816 Franklin St, Oakland, CA 94607
Sun Sing Pastry Dim Sum
382 8th St, Oakland, CA 94607
734 Webster St, Oakland, CA 94607
Shan Dong Mandarin Restaurant
328 10th St, Oakland, CA 94607
Napoleon Super Bakery
810 Franklin St, Oakland, CA
Sum Yee Pastry
918 Webster St, Oakland, CA 94607
339 9th St, Oakland, CA
by Maryse Chevriere | Food is a major part of my life. I’m more on top of dining and restaurant news than world news. My...
Sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest tips, tricks, recipes and more, sent twice a week.