I must say I´m thrilled to have found this forum! In about two weeks, my boyfriend and I (Swedish, 30 yo) are going to New York for 10 days. We will be staying in Harlem near Marcus Garvey Park but plan to go everywhere in Manhattan and some to the outer boroughs as well (will post this on outer boroughs board too). A big feature of our trip will, of course, be FOOD. I have a lot of questions, so have broken them down into two posts. I have read a bit on the board already so have some ideas, but would love new suggestions too!
I am a "pescatarian"(no meat other than fish or seafood), but my boyfriend eats everything. We don´t like overly touristy places, but as long as the food is fabulous they´re OK.
What would you recommend for...
1. High end type restaurant (dinner)? My ideas so far are: Eleven Madison or Gramercy Tavern. If these are impossible for reservations this late, any other suggestions?
2. High end type restaurant (lunch)?
4. Seafood and/or caviar? Ideas: Barney Greengrass, Pearl Oyster Bar
5. Classic American Diner?
6. Soul Food? Ideas: Amy Ruth´s, Miss Maude´s
7. Steaks (for the boyfriend...)?
8. Bagels, bialys? Ideas: Essa Bagel, Kossars
9. New York style Cheesecake? Ideas: Carnegie Deli, Juniors in Brooklyn
10. Bakeries? Ideas: Lee Lee´s in Harlem, Ciao for Now
11. Anything in Harlem not to be missed?