After extensive resarch here are my Top 10 Sushi restaurants I've been to in the past 24 months. omakase at the bar was ordered at all places. price is for 1 person excluding bev, tax,tip. If there are places i left out please recommend as i'm always up for trying new places...
1. MASA ($350) - i've only been once and i must say it was the best sushi i've had in an unbelieveble atmosphere but i would never pay my own money to go.
2. Kuruma ($180-$200) - amazing sushi but the decor must change. service was the worst of the top 5.
3. Yasuda ($150-$180) - smallest pieces of sushi known to mankind. if they tried serving this in japan they'd get their ass kicked. best rice in nyc and the marinating of the sushi is superb.
4. Gari ($100-$125) - Huge difference in quality when Gari is serving you and when he's not. When he is it's a solid Top 5. When he's not Seki's better.
5. Jewel Bako ($120-$150) - I hate evrything about this place. their cramped quarters, owners' pretentiousness, hard-to-get resvs... but the sushi tastes good and i'll go everytime IF can get a resv.
6. Sushi Seki ($80-$120) - I do not like the chef and i hate the fact that they ripped off gari's style but in the months when Gari's in japan it surpasses the master.
7. Shimizu ($50-$70) - BEST BUY of the list. only been open 3 months but i'v been over 10 times. best day to go is a Tuesday when everything is at it's best. equals Top 5 on tuesdays...
8. Ichimura ($80-$120) - Amazingly fresh fish but the rice is lacking and a bit overpriced.
9. Blue Ribbon Sushi ($70-$120) - Omakasedoesn't really feel like an omakase but the fish quality is still superb.
10. Tsuki ($60-$75) - the worst decor of the list. very dark, dingy, and not particulary clean for a japanese restaurant but for a neighborhood joint they have spectacular sushi. owners are nice and the wife/hostess is a sake genius. best artisanal sake list in nyc.
Side note: I used to really love Bond St. but they've gone wayyyyyy down hill. So has Taka. so has Tomoe although you can't beat the price.
A few that did not make the list i'd like to recommend:
Aki on W4th St - Solid sushi at very reasonable prices but no real omakase.
Gajyumaru - their "real" omakase is decent but the BEST DEAL in town is their "on the menu" omakase at $55 for 2 people. you get about 24-26 pieces of nigiri and 2 rolss. fills me and my wife up all the time. very very fresh fish if uninspired.
please tell me if i've left out any of your favorite places that i'm not aware of. thank you.