Hello, I am a chowhounder from NY/NJ and coming to Austin for the Labor Day weekend. Get in late Friday, and leave Tuesday about 11. The bulk of the trip will be barbecue, needed help adjusting my itinerary or places to hit up and have a lot of questions. I am pretty much set on going to the SaltLick(only place my friends know) in Driftwood, Franklins, and Lockhart. I would like to go to Louie Mullers, and City Market in Luling.
1. Should I make the effort to go all the way out to Snows?
2. I am planning on hitting up Franklin around 9am which day is more bearable, Saturday or Sunday to wait? Follow up, my friends are not as adamant/crazy as I am about food, how big of a faux pas is it if the join me in line later around 11?
3. Also, I was planning of getting some breakfast tacos before waiting for Franklin, besides Torchys any other recs or breakfast tacos places near franklin I can hit up?
4. From general reading consensus, seems the only other worthy place to hit up within Austin is J. Muellers, Stiles switch for the beef ribs anybody got any other suggestions?
5. As I understand, bbq is about 11-lunchtimeish and going later, though most places say they are open till 6-8 would not be a great idea am I correct on this? Example, showing up to Kreuz Market around 5 is not a great idea.
6. Donuts. Besides Gordoughs other worthy spots to go too?
Thanks for advance for helping me out. I am deprived of bbq here in the NE except for some few places and the once a year Big Apple BBQ block party and I am excited to come to Austin. Staying around the convention area, close to 6th street and will have access to a car. Also, weird question, do you have Dukes Mayo in the supermarket? Another thing I am deprived of here in the NE.