This press release for the upcoming Chengdu Food & Cultural Festival just hit my inbox. It has a schedule of events for planning purposes while I try to get more information.
* * * * * * *
Martin Yan Brings Chengdu to San Francisco
For Immediate Release
September 1, 2016 - San Mateo, CA
International culinary icon and Bay Area TV personality Martin Yan is delighted to announce that he and his company Yan Can Cook, Inc. will be the principal force behind the Chengdu Food & Cultural Festival in San Francisco come this November.
The weeklong festival will kick off on November 10, 2016 at San Francisco City Hall, with a festive evening gala of culinary and cultural delights. Co-hosting this highly anticipated event will be the honorable mayors of both cities: Mr. Edwin Lee of San Francisco and Mr. Tang Liangzhi of Chengdu. In attendance will be 250 Bay Area VIP luminaries.
Among the visiting Chinese delegation will be a team of Sichuan’s finest chefs, who will be serving up the evening’s signature menu of Chengdu culinary masterpieces. Renowned Sichuan opera artists will provide the evening’s entertainment of kung fu tea ceremony and ‘face-changing’ performance.
This event will mark the first of its kind between San Francisco and her friendship city of Chengdu, the capital city of China’s Sichuan province.
“I cannot emphasize what a monumental event this will be for both cities,” Chef Yan stated. “This is a multi-level, multi-media cultural exchange between two of the most dynamic regions of the world. Art, culture, high-technology, two centers of innovation and limitless potential for growth,” added Yan, “and, two regions where fine food is revered as a daily necessity.”
“San Francisco and Chengdu are two cities that share many similarities – first of all for our love of culture and the arts, technology – but most notably – our food scene,” said Mayor Ed Lee, “We are delighted to kick off the Chengdu Food Festival in San Francisco, and look forward to many more food festivals that will further strengthen the ties between our two friendship cities.”
China’s General Consul in San Francisco, Mr. Linquan Luo, concurred wholeheartedly. He furthers added: “Chengdu is emerging on the world stage in a major way and San Francisco is a perfect launching pad. This festival is truly history in the making.”
On the week that follows the City Hall gala, Chef Yan will be leading the visiting entourage of Sichuan chefs on a whirlwind Bay Area exchange tour:
(1) There will be five special Sichuan-themed dinners hosted by Chef Yan and the visiting chefs in five distinguished restaurants.
Koi Palace – (date: Nov. 11, 2016 [Friday], from 6:30 – 9:30 pm)
Phone: (650) 992-9000
Address: 365 Gellert Blvd, Daly City, CA 94015
M.Y. China – (date: Nov. 12, 2016 [Saturday], from 5:30 -8:00 pm)
Phone: (415) 580-3001
Address: 845 Market St. 4th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103
Chef Chu – (date: Nov. 13, 2016 [Sunday], from 6:30 – 9:30 pm)
Phone: (650) 948-2696
Address: 1067 N. San Antonio Rd., Los Altos CA 94022-1323
China Stix – (date: Nov. 14, 2016 [Monday], from 6:30 – 9:30 pm)
Phone: (408) 244-1684
Address: 2110 El Camino Real, Santa Clara CA 95050
Crystal Jade – (date: Nov. 16, 2016 [Wednesday], from 6:30 – 9:30 pm)
Phone: (415) 399-1200
Address: One, Street Level, San Francisco CA 94111
These dinners will allow true Sichuan food enthusiasts in the Bay Area to sample the culinary creations of these talented chefs, who will be working closely with the staff in each individual venue. Each dinner is open to the public and tickets maybe reserved by contacting each restaurant (phone number and website links).
(2) On the same week the chefs will also be split up in teams to visit the corporate dining facilities of the who’s who in Silicon Valley: Apple, Oracle, HP, Google, LinkedIn, and others. The staff of these high tech giants will be treated to special Sichuan dishes in their corporate dining facilities, along with cooking demonstrations by these visiting chefs. On their visits to Google and LinkedIn, they will be joined by the Chengdu City official delegation led by Vice Mayor (name here).
(Insert name of company and corresponding dates).
(3) The chefs will also be taking their culinary presentation to noted Bay Area institutions of higher learning. Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts and Contra Costa College will play host to these visiting chefs and their students and faculty will be treated to an authentic display of Sichuan culinary mastery techniques.
(Post schedule and links to websites here.)
Nov. 14, 2016 at Contra Costa College
Address: 2600 Mission Bell Drive, San Pablo CA 94806
Phone: 510-238-7800, Ext. 4408
Contact: Nader Sharkes,
Department Chair Culinary Arts, Contra Costa College
Nov. 15, 2016, from 12:00 – 1:00 pm, Confucius Institute in State University of San Francisco.
Address: 1600 Holloway Ave. Burk Hall 333, San Francisco, CA 94132
Nov. 18, 2016 at Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts,
Address: 350 Rhode Island, San Francisco, CA 94103
Contact: Chef Tim Grable M. Ed,
Campus Director/Director of Education
(4) The promotion of Sichuan cuisine will continue long after the Chinese visiting delegation departs the Bay Area. Chef Yan and Yan Can Cook are currently planning a series of Sichuan cooking demonstrations at public libraries all around the Bay. These events will be open to the public free of charge and in the past have been well-attended gatherings wildly popular among library patrons. Yan Can Cook will post the precise schedule of these events when it is finalized.
(5) Martin Yan is also announcing that the next series of his award-winning Yan Can Cook Show will be produced in Chengdu. The project’s working title is “A Taste of Chengdu, with Martin Yan. It is a 13 half-hour episode series currently in development. It has already received enthusiastic support from the city government officials as well as many private enterprises in Chengdu. The new series is scheduled for production in early 2017 and a PBS launch date in 2018.
“This is truly an ambitious campaign,” declares Martin Yan, “it’s designed to put Chengdu front and center on the North American stage.” He further added: “and the Bay Area is only the beginning, in time we intend to bring this same message to other parts of the United States.”
by Joey Skladany | Aside from spewing profanities and making delicious food, Gordon Ramsay is damn good at filleting...
by Amy Sowder | When I'm anxious or sad, I stuff my face with carbs and sugar and cheese, ingredients which are wonderful...
Sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest tips, tricks, recipes and more, sent twice a week.