My fiancee and I went to Nobu last night for a celebratory dinner. We went way out of our normal price range (by about 10x) and got the $140/person omakase. We didn't encounter any of the snotty service previous posters have mentioned, and thought most of the dishes were outstanding. I still don't know if any meal is worth that much money, but this came close. Here's what we got:
1. Cold veggie cocktail with tomatoes, cucumbers, squid, and cilantro in a bonito-jalapeno broth and a little caviar on top.
2. Cooked eel with filo shavings on greens. The eel was cooked perfectly, and the filo shavings contrasted its buttery softness well.
3. (Very very slightly) seared toro with jalapeno sauce. The beautiful presentation included an edible pansy and a tiny, spikey, plum-like fruit the waiter called a mountain peach. I did a quick google search for "mountain peach" and didn't come up with anything. Does anybody know what this fruit is?
4. "new style" sashimi: Wild Alaskan salmon with chives, ginger, light soy, sesame seeds, and olive oil. The salmon had a much deeper flavor than the farm-raised stuff I usually eat. This dish and the toro were my favorites.
5. Chilean sea bass (cooked) with carmelized sweet onions, fruit salsa, and a sweet potato wafer. This one was my fiancee's favorite.
6. Kobe beef with plum sauce, topped with seared fois gras and served with plum slices, white and green asparagus, and carrots. This dish was good, but we were both expecting kobe beef to be really tender, which is wasn't. It wasn't overcooked at all, so maybe it just wasn't a very tender cut? This is the one item I definitely wouldn't order again.
7. Miso soup
8. Sushi: toro, yellowtail, red snapper, jackfish, eel. Very fresh, well-constructed (small the way I like them) pieces, that you could probably get for a fraction the cost somewhere else.
9. Shaved ice with that same mysterious "mountain peach" fruit.
10. Bento box of chocolate soufle (seemed like cake to me, but I guess I've never eaten a soufle before) and green tea ice cream. Very good, very rich.