I've been tasked with making a lasagna one afternoon this week.
I'm using a simple recipe that I found online, but I have a few questions... I hope someone can help me.
1. The recipe calls for 1 (16 ounce) package of lasagna noodles. It says to boil them until al dente. Would it kill the recipe if I buy the precooked noodles - the ones that sop up the sauce in the pan?
2. The recipe calls for 1 pound of fresh mushrooms and 3/4 cup of chopped green pepper. Can these veggies be replaced for something else? People keep mentioning spinach to me. How much spinach would I need to saute it down to 3/4 cup? Or should I be using a different veg?
3. The recipe calls for 2 jars pasta sauce and 1 teaspoon of dried basil. I'm not using my own home kitchen, rather an institutional kitchen where I have to bring in all the stuff. So can I just buy sauce that is already flavoured with basil?
4. The recipe calls for 4 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese. How big of a block/ball of cheese will I need to buy to yield me 4 cups?
5. Finally, the recipe calls for 1/2 cup grated parm. Is it possible to get just that much, or am I going to have to buy a bigger container of the stuff.
For what it's worth, I'm in downtown Toronto with access to transit and am willing to go to multiple places to get the stuff I need.