Just read the thread way down about where to eat in Nashville if you're looking for Southern restaurants the locals love. I'm a local and here's my list:
1. Loveless Cafe on Highway 100. Terrific fried chicken, fluffy biscuits. Great breakfasts also. Make a reservation or you'll have a long wait.
2. Martha Stamp's restaurant at the Belle Meade Plantation. Very good, sophisticated Southern food. Two-for-one - you can see the plantation too.
3. Pineapple Room at Cheekwood Botanical Gardens. This has just been taken over by Ann Clayton, one of Nashville's best caterers. Also sophisticated Southern food. Bonus: walk around the gorgeous gardens to work up an appetite.
4. Monell's in Germantown, near downtown. Southern boarding house fare. On the way there, you'll pass the Farmer's Market where you can pick up fresh collards, peaches, tomatoes, you name it.
5. Arnold's on 8th Street. If you really want to eat where the locals go, this is it. It's a meat and three. Place has about 20 tables and you're served cafeteria style. Monday is liver and onions day - the best I've ever had. Other choices through the week: meatloaf, fried chicken, roast beef. Homemade yeast rolls and cornbread muffins.