As I think back upon 2008 today, I'm happily remembering my ten favorite restaurant meals of the year.
What's on your list for best of 2008? Here's mine:
- Bangkok Thai Deli. Fabulous Thai food in a bare-bones grocery store. I adore the seafood custard in banana-leaf cups.
- Rotisseria. Amazing grilled chicken with green salsa. I'm glad I went as often as I did, because it's closed now (the tragedy of the year for me).
- Salty Tart Patisserie. I love those amazing coconut macaroons. And I can't wait to try their "healthy" (ha) white chocolate millet cookies.
- Restaurant Alma. We didn't go often enough - only twice this year - but we had wonderful meals for my birthday and our 20th anniversary dinner.
- Be'wiched. Highlights of 2008: tuna confit sandwich, pulled pork sandwich, and consistently the best soups in town.
- Himalayan Restaurant. Yak momos! Need I say more? Yet I shall. I love the curries that are similar to Indian food but are more delicately spiced.
- Brasa Rostisserie. Even better than before, partly because of the spiced braised beef that has been added to the menu.
- Gandhi Mahal. I continue to be pleasantly surprised each time I go - it *is* as good as I remember! Next time, I've gotta try the lassi bar.
- Birchwood. I've become less fond of Birchwood over this year - there seems to be bacon and cheese and aioli in *everything*, making the dishes too rich for me to enjoy - but we had a fabulous dinner from their Valentine's Day "small plates" menu.
- Last but not least, it's a three-way tie between West Indies Soul (FABULOUS collard greens with pork), La Hacienda (excellent Al Pastor torta), and Hoa Bien (best Banh Xeo -coconut-rice crepe- in town).
All in all, 2008 was a great eating year. Here's to an even better 2009!
Updated 1 year ago | 1
Updated 28 days ago | 15
Updated 25 days ago | 13
Updated 11 days ago | 76
Updated 1 month ago | 14