Does anyone know a reliable recipe for mozzarella sticks? My goal is to replicate the classic bar food. My ideal mozzarella stick has the following attributes:
1. Coating should be relatively thick and contain crumbs of some sort. It must envelop the cheese without any leakage.
2. The cheese should be chewy, not liquified or soggy.
I've tried the following strategies without success:
1. Classic breading strategy. Flour, egg wash, crumbs. This coating doesn't seal the cheese in. It leaks out leaving hollow batter shells and a messy deep fryer.
2. Beer batter. Again, the cheese leaks out.
3. Breading and freezing. Slightly better, but the cheese still liquifies and escapes before the coating browns. Sticks tend to stick to the fry basket.
4. Breading, freezing, dipping frozen sticks into beer batter at the last moment. This is the most successful strategy, so far. But we're still getting considerable leakage and sticking.
What oil temperature should I use? I've tried both very hot, and relatively cool. Neither solves the problems.