My mother's birthday falls right before mother's day. Because of other obligations (work, life) we cannot all celebrate the day of. However, since on mother's day we are going to the theater in Hartford, we thought we'd meet there for a special meal after. Late lunch, early dinner. None of us are that familiar with the area, so I thought I'd ask here.
What we are looking for:
1) We don't want a place that is too emphatically celebrating mother's day if possible/overly noisy and crowded. We'd like to skip the pre-arranged menus and roses.
2) Not too formal, as most of us don't want to dress up a lot.
3) Handicapped-accessible at least to a degree/bathroom not up/down steps. Bathroom (I'm sure this is stating the obvious) should be clean and there should be lights so we don't eat in the dark.
4) Not overly expensive. My sister seems to be planning to treat, so I want to be sensitive to that.
5) Good (again, accessible) parking.
1) My mother likes meat and fish, but was recently diagnosed with an allergy to seafood. This upsets her, so I think we should stay out of places that feature seafood heavily. One of the members of the party is fairly insensitive to this (as well as to price points, which is why something less expensive might also be good), so if we could avoid seafood entirely that would be ideal, but I realize that may not be possible. Ethnic food and Italian food are both enjoyed, but probably not preferred.
2) We might want to bring a cake, so we need to either find someplace we can arrange that with or that has really exceptional cake themselves - and can provide it/arrange it without making too much of a fuss.
Suggestions? Of am I asking the impossible, particularly at this date?