Long time lurker first time poster. =)
A co-worker and I drove past the old Mooyah location on 183/burnet next to Chili's last Friday. Surprised to see that another place had opened in the old Mooyah/Geaux Burger location so we gave it a try. Found it surprisingly good. I brought my husband back over the weekend to see what his opinion was. Hubby and I used to frequent Mooyah @ lunch. In our opinion better/cheaper than Mighty Fine but we agree the "Best Burger in Austin" label is debatable.
So for all those Mooyah fans I say give it a try. It is the EXACT same burger. They seem to have changed ownership or at least management. Now they not only have the burgers, but also some mexican dishes, and a few choices for breakfast.
1. Burger is the same as the old mooyah burger. Since there weren't many people, it was fresh and good.
2. The mexican dishes are good. and cheap. $5.50 for an enchilada plate (2 enchiladas, rice ,beans, pico). Quality is pretty good. Not as spicy as I like. Good for those who like mexican but aren't into heat. I tried the chicken tomatillo and was pleased with the size. Also had the pork burrito and found it quite tasty. Soft, moist and full of fat. =)
3. They are really hustling in the service department. Think they are really trying to regain their old customers. Food was brought to us, plus we had a free dessert.
1. I missed a little spiciness in their dishes. Yes I can add it myself as they have some sort of sauce/condiment bar, but it's not the same.
2. We were confused by the name. Cafe? They did offer coffee, which my husband said was pretty good but i can't comment on it personally. I didn't see any pastries either.
3. They have you fill out little form which-which style for your order. Which they pass on to the cooks.. Kinda annoying especially if you're the only one there ordering. =) At least they don't make a big deal out of it if you don't.
While the prices/service were both good, I'm not sure they will scale very well. Because of the new dishes I'm not sure they're not splitting their focus in two. Once business picks up I don't know if they'll be able to keep it up.
Anyway I like the food and am interested to hear what other Chowhounders think. Give it a try and let everyone know.
Updated 2 years ago | 4
Updated 4 days ago | 89
Updated 1 minute ago | 672
Updated 1 day ago | 13
Updated 3 hours ago | 16