Spouse and I went to Mimi's Cafe in Arbor Walk for dinner tonight. Wanted to try it mostly because Dale Rice recommended the "Liver and Onions" and the only other option for that dish that I know of is Luby's. Haven't seen any postings about the Austin location yet, so my impressions:
* It seems to be some kind of chain restaurant with New Orleans decorations and pretentions; except that the background music was a NY jazz singer.
* The Liver and Onions was excellent; liver was sliced thin, cooked perfectly, and covered with nicely sauteed onions. Mushrooms and/or bacon are also options.
* Spouse had Meatloaf. Acceptable.
* Portions are HUGE. Spouse wanted to start with a chopped salad. It was big enough for four people. Same goes for sides; both entrees were accompanied with mashed potatoes (about two cups per serving) and steamed veggies.
* There is a full bar. Wine prices look reasonable, but I don't drink wine and so can't comment on the selection.
* Prices were reasonable; $40 for the chopped salad, the two entrees, a Corona and an iced tea. There was enough food served for four people.
If you don't mind abandoning half the food, or shlepping food home with you to throw out later, it's a decent place. For me I'll probably only go back for a Liver and Onions fix occasionally.
Updated 1 year ago | 0
Updated 5 months ago | 5
Updated 1 month ago | 14
Updated 18 days ago | 17
Updated 14 days ago | 27